Monday, February 22, 2010

Almost... (124)

While today was a good day of shooting for me, I definitely had some "almost" moments. I was once told by a teacher never to mention an 'almost', never show an 'almost' to editor / boss / client / w/e, and just build up what you did get.

Well, I don't agree. An 'almost' shows that I tried something else, took a risk, or at least was thinking about the shot I wanted. Today I traveled to a local High School, Fort Jennings. Fort Jennings is one of the smallest school districts in the state of Ohio and could possibly be at risk if Ohio decides to start downsizing the number of school districts. I was sent to the school to shoot the students as the final bell rang.

I have a few frames of this girl, this is the last. I love it. I love the motion, her posture, it's sharp and well-composed. While I am a fan of this frame, to me it's an almost. It's off-balance. While there are kids in the background, I feel there needs to be something happening at the lockers on the other side of the frame, 2/3 back.



I turned these two frames into the designers, but neither were chosen. While all three are very similar, I hope you can see the difference as to why I feel the top image is an 'almost', where the others work a little better. However, the image the designer went with is below:

The designer like the fullness, the hustle and bustle... kind of in opposition to the story.

All photos taken 02/22/10

No comments: