Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Up (#137)


I hate speaker shots. I hate shooting them and I hate that papers publish them. They are boring and repetitive. But sometimes it's worth it. Bob Peterson, co-director and writer of Academy Award Winning Pixar animated film "Up" and graduate of Ohio Northern University, spoke on campus Monday night. He was funny, smart and inspiring. He told stories about his college experience, his family and his journey working at Pixar Animation Studios. Sometimes it was hard to shoot cause I was laughing so much. The Ohio Northern gym has a track around the top, and I was granted limited time to shoot up there while Peterson was talking. With the giant screens portraying the "Up" character Russel, Peterson's hand on the laptop and the crowd along the bottom, I thought this was a wonderful and graphic alternative to the normal speaker shot. While I turned it into designers, they chose a more classic "speaker shot."

It's ok. It's not a bad shot. Nice art on the screen behind him, strong hand motion, in focus... but it's a speaker shot.

photos 03/15/10

No comments: